Re: tramp-do-copy-or-rename-via-buffer doesn't work for XEmacs

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp-do-copy-or-rename-via-buffer doesn't work for XEmacs
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 23:17:31 +0100

Lars Hansen <address@hidden> writes:

> IIRC, in earlier versions of Tramp file copying did not go via a
> buffer.

Copying via buffer is used for inline methods only. Out of band
methods are using copy programs like scp or rsync.

> I don't know why that has been changed, but it has a bad consequence:
> The keep-date flag does not work anymore.
> I use Tramp every day to synchronize files on different machines, a
> synchronization based on time stamps. Therefore I have to use an old
> version of Tramp.
>
> So if someone is looking into tramp-do-copy-or-rename-via-buffer,
> please consider making keep-date work.

Hmm, I guess tramp-do-copy-or-rename-file-directly is a better
candidate.

The first TODO item in tramp.el reads: "tramp-copy-keep-date-arg is
not used!"  Looks like we should work on it now ...

> BTW, using touch, will that work on Windows machines?

That's not so simple. AFAIR, Emacs doesn't offer a compatible
function doing that. There's only a C function set_file_times in
sysdep.c, but that's not a primitive one could use.

> Anyway, why copy via a buffer and not directly?

Again, it depends on yourself: choosing an inline or out of band
method.