Re: Find out last modtime of a file?

From: Tim Connors
Subject: Re: Find out last modtime of a file?
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 09:22:50 +1100 (EST)

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004, Skip Montanaro wrote:

>     Tim> Any system worth it's beef would have a C compiler, no? cache the
>     Tim> compiled file somewhere in /tmp
>
> Most Windows systems don't.  XEmacs works fine on them, so a C file
> distributed with Tramp would probably not work well.

That's why I said "any system worth it's beef" ;)

But yeah, that will be a problem...

OK, so what about this perl solution - perl is used elsewhere in tramp;
but it does slow down loading a bit...

I wonder if you could, instead of sending the implementation to the shell
each time, cache it in /tmp with a name unique to the current user. At
least then it survives to next reboot, but again, I don't know whether the
process of finding the cache file is going to save us any time, compared
to just sending it as a shell function.

If it weren't for C, we'd be writing programs in BASI, PASAL, and OBOL.