Re: Find out last modtime of a file?

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: Find out last modtime of a file?
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 09:10:52 +0100

Adrian Phillips <address@hidden> writes:

>     Kai> In addition to invoking Perl and the /usr/bin/stat (or
>     Kai> /bin/stat?)  program, which other ways can you think of to
>     Kai> find the last modtime of a file?
>
> I have a feeling of Deja Vu - has this come up before or is this just
> the same stat conversation that has appeared on other lists over the
> years.

I've brought it up in the past.  Back then, I asked how to process the
output of stat(1).

> The stat command varies between OSes. The safest way seems to be to
> use the stat system call via your favourite language (whatever is
> accessible from tramp I suppose).

Ah.  Okay, we already have this for Perl.  Maybe it's useful to add it
for Python, too.  (In that case, a Python implementation of
file-attributes would be good.)

Any other languages you can think of that will probably be installed
on the remote host?

Kai