Normal setup for Kerberos?

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Normal setup for Kerberos?
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 20:07:34 +0100

I started using Kerberos just a couple of weeks ago, and it seems that
the default Tramp setup doesn't fit my site.

So rather than just frobbing tramp-methods in .emacs or changing
tramp.el globally, I thought I'd ask, so that perhaps a default config
could be found that works for everyone.  Or most people, at least.

On Debian, there are programs krb5-rsh and krb5-rlogin.  It depends on
the configuration whether rsh and rlogin are aliases to these
programs, or do something else.

On Solaris, there are /usr/bin/{rsh,rlogin} and
/usr/kerberos/bin/{rsh,rlogin}.  I think that people are expected to
set $PATH, or something.

On FreeBSD, /usr/bin/{rsh,rlogin} seem to provide Kerberos and
non-Kerberos functionality.

I think that the -x option is popular with Kerberized rsh, but maybe
the plain vanilla rsh barfs on that option.  So we need different
methods, with and without -x.

And should we use rsh or rlogin to log in to the remote host?

Whee.  What with all those methods, it might be useful to compute the
value of tramp-methods at load time.  Take the first binary that can
be found: /usr/kerberos/bin/rsh, /usr/bin/krb5-rsh, /usr/bin/rsh.
What do people think?  (I forgot krlogin I think.)

tia,
Kai