Re: contrib/base64.el doesn't work

From: Tim Connors
Subject: Re: contrib/base64.el doesn't work
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 13:41:02 +1100 (EST)

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004, Kai Grossjohann wrote:

> Tramp expects base64-encode-region and base64-decode-region to return
> the length of the result.  But the functions in contrib/base64.el
> don't do that.
>
> Of course, the easy way out is to just delete the file, saying that
> Tramp expects the underlying Emacs to support base64 encoding.
>
> This has been the case in Emacs for a long time, but what about
> XEmacs?

I have included the contrib path into my loadpath, so need to find out
which version of base64 I am using:

For a start, I seem to have a
/usr/share/xemacs21/xemacs-packages/lisp/mail-lib/base64.el

apropos base64-encode-region shows:
`base64-encode-region' is an interactive built-in function
(base64-encode-region START END &optional NO-LINE-BREAK)

as opposed to one of my own functions
`linux-c-mode' is an interactive Lisp function
  -- loaded from "~/.xemacs/.xemacs-options"

So I guess it's built into xemacs.

Adding features does not necessarily increase functionality -- it just
makes the manuals thicker.