Re: tramp (2.0.39); backup file naming error (%backup% resulted)

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: tramp (2.0.39); backup file naming error (%backup% resulted)
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 13:51:46 +0100

Peter Woo <address@hidden> writes:

> Separately, after further testing, it seems that ":" named files
> behaves very strangely on Cygwin. The file "test:abc" can be
> referenced even though you cannot see it anywhere but just "test" when
> "ls".

It's not Cygwin, it's Windows.  Similar to old MacOS versions which
had a resource fork and a data fork in each file, Windows files are
also special: they can contain different "streams".

"test:abc" is the abc stream in the file test.

I don't know exactly how these streams behave, but it seems you can at
least use them as a poor man's zip file.

Kai