Wouldn't it be nice...

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Wouldn't it be nice...
Date: 09 Jun 2004 15:35:48 +0200

if we had a command "trampclient"?  If I was editing in some shell
with root priviledges, it would be nice if I could just call

  trampclient filename.c

as an editor, and the _current_ shell would connect to an Emacs server
and would be used in an existing non-priviledged Emacs session for
doing the editing in question.

That way, I need not tell Emacs my password again and be afraid that
it makes it into core dumps or other ugly stuff (I had Emacs once
display a just typed password in the context of a keyboard sequence
prompt for a question immediately following in a shell script run
within Emacs -- nasty).

And if I have some ssh session running to a different computer, having
the possibility of passing a local file there to a local Emacs session
(in case I can arrange for a connection back) would be nice.

Likely the corresponding tramp server should not allow the equivalent
of the emacsclient -eval option in order to make this reasonably
unproblematic.  And maybe trampclient should have some way of passing
credentials, like by using an SSL socket or something.