Re: tramp mode for windows?

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp mode for windows?
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 10:47:55 +0100

Joakim Verona <address@hidden> writes:

> Sometimes I want to edit files on w32 machines from a proper emacs on
> a proper gnu/linux box.

Tramp knows the "smb" method which is intended for this case.

> These machines are sometimes behind firewalls.

Unfortunately, "smb" is not multi-hop capable yet. It's on my todo
list, but with low priority. Hmm, with Tramp 2.1 it shouldn't be a big
deal ...

What you can try is to tunnel the remote client's NETBIOS session
service port (139 per default) through your firewall, via port
mapping. Then you could access your remote client on the tunnelled
port on the firewall. The "smb" method accepts different port numbers.