Re: Always "file changed on disk..."

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Always "file changed on disk..."
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 22:04:09 +0100

Peter Woo <address@hidden> writes:

> Under cygwin emacs on my PC, when connected to a NT ftp server (method
> ftp), after 1st save of an edited file, subsequent saves (within a few
> minutes interval) will alway make emacs returns the msg:
>
> "foo.txt changed on disk; really edit the buffer?"

One should know where this message comes from. Maybe you can do the
following:

M-: (setq debug-on-quit t)

When that message pops up the next time, you enter "C-g". This will
result in a backtrace, which you could analyze (or send to the mailing
list).

> Have tried with the various backup options (on and off) but problem
> still persists.  The more annoying thing is that after forcing for a
> save, close buffer and re-open (if within a few minutes interval), the
> old file content will be presented.
>
> That NT ftp server's clock is kind of 5 minutes slower than my PC
> clock.  Not sure whether related.

Hmm. It shouldn't matter, because timestamps are taken from the remote host.

> This can be reproduced on both tramp 2.1.2 and 2.1.3.

Just for the records: It is likely not Tramp but ange-ftp, because you
use the FTP method.