Re: Advice for using python-mode with Tramp

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Advice for using python-mode with Tramp
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 17:58:17 +0200

Kirk Strauser <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm currently editing "/ssh:address@hidden:/tmp/invoice.py".  In
> python-mode, C-c C-c loads a Python interpreter on the remote machine
> (assuming it's accessible) and tries to interpret the module you're working
> on.  Unfortunately, that results in something like:
>
>   ## working on region in file /tmp/python-49468F4D.py...
>   Traceback (most recent call last):
>     File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
>   IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/tmp/python-49468F4D.py'
>   >>>

> instead of running the file as expected.

See python.el, function `python-send-region':

  "Send the region to the inferior Python process."
  ;; The region is evaluated from a temporary file.

I fear, Tramp cannot do anything, because the temporary file is
created with (make-temp-file "py") - that means it is local on your
host.

> Also, running "pylint" from pylint.el gives errors like:
>
>   cd /ssh:address@hidden:/tmp/
>   pylint --parseable=y "/ssh:address@hidden:/tmp/invoice.py"
>   /ssh:address@hidden:/tmp/invoice.py:0: [F] No module named
> /ssh:address@hidden
>
> In other words, Emacs seems to be passing the entire Tramp filename to the
> remote programs, rather than their local equivalents.  Now, I understand
> that this isn't a problem with Tramp.  Still, it's incredibly annoying and
> I'm hoping that someone here has dealt with this problem already.

That package I don't know (I'm not a Python user).