Re: tramp (2.1.7); ssh not default method

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp (2.1.7); ssh not default method
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 16:17:29 +0200

"mike kuhlen" <address@hidden> writes:

Hi,

> When I don't specify a connection method (/hostname:path/to/file),
> tramp doesn't default to ssh and instead uses method 'nil', which
> fails with a "env: nil: No such file or directory". When I do specify
> the method (/ssh:hostname:path/to/file) everything works fine.

I cannot reproduce it here. The settings you have mailed look fine.

> I have set tramp-default-method to "ssh" in my .emacs.

This shouldn't be necessary, it is the default. But it doesn't harm ...

Could you, please, remove "~/.emacs.d/tramp" and start Emacs with the
"-q" option (in order to suppress your .emacs settings)? Then set your
load-path, require Tramp, and see what happens. I fear there are some
unexpected local settings.