Re: tramp (2.1.14); TRAMP hangs with sudo and su method after querying m

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: tramp (2.1.14); TRAMP hangs with sudo and su method after querying my password
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 09:47:00 +0200

Hi Michael,

>> I've set my default shell (zsh) not to use a fancy prompt when TERM
>> is set to dumb.  In that case it uses '#' or '%' as prompt, depending
>> on the user.
>
> I guess you haven't disabled zle. See (info "(tramp)Frequently Asked
> Questions") for zsh specific settings.

As I already said, this was the culprit.

But now I've seen that I already had an emacs specific setting in my
~/.zshrc which I added to make M-x shell work.

if [[ -n ${INSIDE_EMACS} ]]; then
    prompt gentoo
    unsetopt zle
fi

So it would be good, if TRAMP would set this INSIDE_EMACS variable, too,
in analogy with M-x shell.

,----[ (info "(emacs)Interactive Shell") ]
|    Emacs sets the environment variable `INSIDE_EMACS' in the subshell
| to a comma-separated list including the Emacs version.  Programs can
| check this variable to determine whether they are running inside an
| Emacs subshell.
`----

In M-x shell, its value is "23.0.60.1,comint" here.  It would be nice if
TRAMP would set it to something like "<emacs-version>,comint,tramp", so
that users have a mode finegrained control of what's invoking the shell.

Bye,
Tassilo