Prompt matching issue - Couldn't `stty -inlcr -echo kill '^U''

From: Richard Hill
Subject: Prompt matching issue - Couldn't `stty -inlcr -echo kill '^U''
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 14:24:57 +0000

Hi All,

I have installed GNU Emacs 22.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.0.6000), which includes Tramp - although not sure which version.

When I attempt to open a remote file on a Redhat Linux box over ssl (plink), the login hangs on:

apply: Couldn't `stty -inlcr -echo kill '^U''

The final apostrophe appears to be causing the problem... removing this last apostrophe and executing the resulting line in a shell then seems to work fine (removing character echo etc).

Now I _believe_ this last apostrophe is deliberate, to match a zero-length string at the end of the shell prompt?

On the remote box, my $PS1 = address@hidden \W]\$ , which I think is the default RH prompt.

I am more than happy to change my prompt to ensure Tramp compatibility, could someone point me in the direction of where I might find compatible prompt patterns? Alternatively, what do i need to add to my .emacs to ensure Tramp understands my prompt?

Below I have pasted the last of the output from the Emacs message buffer. Thanks very much for the help,

Richard

tramp: Looking for regexp "" from remote shell
tramp: Looking for regexp "^.*\([pP]assword\|passphrase\).*:
tramp: Looking for regexp ".*ogin\( .*\)?: *" from remote shell
tramp: Looking for regexp "^[^#$%>]*[#$%>] *" from remote shell
tramp: Found remote shell prompt.
tramp: Initializing remote shell
tramp: Sending command to remote shell: unset HISTORY
tramp: Sending command to remote shell: unset correct
tramp: Sending command to remote shell: unset autocorrect
tramp: Waiting 30s for remote `/bin/sh' to come up...
tramp: Setting up remote shell environment
apply: Couldn't `stty -inlcr -echo kill '^U'', see buffer `*tramp/plink address@hidden'

And the buffer contains:

stty -inlcr -echo kill '^U'
$ $