Re: file storage in IMAP (eventually for Tramp) working and needs testin

From: Daiki Ueno
Subject: Re: file storage in IMAP (eventually for Tramp) working and needs testing
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 22:09:52 +0900

> On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 11:45:04 +0900 Daiki Ueno <address@hidden> wrote:
> >> - save /imap:blockstar.com:/INBOX.test/new via tramp-imap-put-file (uses
> >> PGG)
> >> - read /imap:blockstar.com:/INBOX.test/new via tramp-imap-get-file (uses
> >> PGG)

DU> I think this (implicit encryption) is a misdesgined feature which should
DU> be removed.  Why don't you leave the job to auto-encryption-mode so that
DU> a user can choose whether to encrypt a file by adding ".gpg"?

> Unlike filesystems, IMAP servers are a semi-public space,

Really?  I use 3 IMAP servers for everyday use and they properly
implement access control like file systems.  In other words, no one can
read my private emails unless s/he shares the passphrase with me.

Otherwise, it's a horrible situation...

> in the sense that the vast majority of the users can't expect security
> or privacy beyond what the server administrators and owners are
> willing to grant.  Very, very few users actually own and control their
> IMAP servers.  Thus, encrypting by default is IMHO the best option and
> the only one I provided in this initial version.

I think you always lack "use-case analysis".

Regards,
--
Daiki Ueno