file-precious-flag

From: Julian Scheid
Subject: file-precious-flag
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 00:58:34 +1200

I'm looking at the end of tramp-handle-write-region and I can see that
when file-precious-flag is set, checksums are run to verify that the
file was written as expected.

However, file-precious-flag documentation says "non-nil means protect
against I/O errors while saving files" and goes on to explain how this
is achieved by writing to a temporary file and then swapping out the
temporary file against the target. Wouldn't it make sense for tramp to
do the same? Unless I'm missing something, tramp will raise an error
when the checksums don't match but it seems at that point the damage
is already done.