Re: Cannot get tramp launched / and also : telnet+ftp

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Cannot get tramp launched / and also : telnet+ftp
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 10:47:02 +0200

Stéphane Senesi <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello,

Hi,

> I recently discovered TRAMP through http://www.gnu.org/software/tramp/,
> and it should fit my needs perfectly. However :
>
> When trying to use it, all find-file actions with a tramp-like syntax
> end in an efs action, and so try to use ftp.
> This occurs in the following context
>     - tramp-default-method is set to "telnet"
>     - no "~/.netrc" file
>     - tramp version 2.0.55
>     - Xemacs 21.4.21
> and I see no way to launch it (rather than efs) explicitly by a user command

The web page you have checked describes Tramp for GNU Emacs. With
XEmacs, Tramp uses another syntax. See
<http://www.gnu.org/software/tramp/tramp-xemacs.html>.

However, both pages are for Tramp 2.1, which also has some changes wrt
Tramp 2.0. So the best source for information might be the Tramp manual,
which you could read from XEmacs' info system, loading (tramp).

> Additionnaly, I would like to combine, for the same host, the telnet
> method (for grep, eshell ...) and the ftp method (for file transfer),
> but it seems that there is no provision for that in Tramp ?

Running remote processes is supported with Tramp 2.1 only. And I do not
know, whether it works with XEmacs.

Sadly, Tramp 2.1 is not offered yet as XEmacs package, due to licensing
problems. But you can install it on your own.