editing a file on a remote host as root

From: Chris Withers
Subject: editing a file on a remote host as root
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2009 11:38:06 +0000

Hi All,

I'd like to use tramp to edit files on a remote host, but where I need to be root to edit the files in question.

My first attempt was:

/sudo:address@hidden:/

...but this gave me:

ad-Orig-error: Cannot connect to different host `thehost' with `su' connection method

After a bit of googling, I tried:

/multi:ssh:address@hidden:sudo::/

...but that gave me a rather uninformative:

tramp_exit_status 1

...even though I have tramp debug logging enabled.

I did see some other instructions involving adding stuff to my local ssh config and then adding separate stuff in my .emacs file, but that seems an unreasonable amount of work to have to do for each and every server I ever want to edit a remote file on as root.

What am I doing wrong and what should I be typing in?

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk