Curious permission problem

From: Ole Laursen
Subject: Curious permission problem
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 17:00:29 +0100

Hi!

I get a "Wrong type argument: arrayp, nil" error which I traced to the
fact that for some reason the files on the remote host have the
permission "---xrwxr--". So there is no read access for the owner.
This is a bit weird, but it actually works on the remote server (I'm
logging in as a normal user, owner of the file is root). I didn't
setup the server end. :)

What happens is that tramp transfers the file to my local /tmp/, then
it does a chmod of 0174 on the file which succeeds, and finally Emacs
tries to read the file and fails with a permission denied.

So tramp transfers the file and makes it unreadable. I guess this
shouldn't happen. I'm not sure why I can't read the file when I'm
still in the group. But I can't. I'm on Ubuntu, by the way. A simple
check to make sure owner always gets read permission would probably
suffice?

--
Ole Laursen
http://www.iola.dk/