Re: problem of `tramp-handle-file-local-copy' and inline transfer compre

From: Toru TSUNEYOSHI
Subject: Re: problem of `tramp-handle-file-local-copy' and inline transfer compressing
Date: Mon, 03 May 2010 09:06:45 +0900 (JST)

> Hi Toru san,

Hi, Michael san.

> `most-positive-fixnum' is 2.305.843.009.213.693.951 in my Emacs
> instance:
>
> GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.0)
>  of 2010-05-01 on detlef

The value of 64bit is extremely huge, isn't it.

> I doubt, that it makes sense to apply file operations on larger files
> from inside Emacs :-)

My former opinion was too much thinking. :)

> It depends on several points. Do you transfer text files or binary
> files, do you apply compressing or not, do you use "scp" or "scpc" as
> external method, do you have a rather fast or a rather slow connection,
> does your machine is fast in compressing, ...
>
> Maybe it is worth to add a "Tuning" section to the Tramp manual. Are you
> interested in to contribute?

I agree that it is worth to do it.
However, it is difficult for me.
I usually use Emacs on MS Windows, and use just `plink' and `pscp' as
method. Regrettablly, I don't know the other methods well.

>> Thanks a lot, Michael san.
>
> Best regards, Michael.

Best regards, Toru.