Re: default remote shell in tramp

From: Vinh Nguyen
Subject: Re: default remote shell in tramp
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 09:47:39 -0700

Thanks for your response Michael.  See below.

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 9:38 AM, Michael Albinus <address@hidden> wrote:
> Vinh Nguyen <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Dear list,
>
> Hi,
>
>> First, my goal is to have access to my PATH that I modify in my
>> .bashrc file on remote machines.  However, when I invoke "!" or "&" in
>> dired, the commands are not found:
>> /bin/sh: MYCOMMAND: not found
>>
>> I figure this is because bash is not used by tramp even though bash is
>> the default login shell on my remote systems.  Why isn't tramp using
>> it?  I understand that one way around this is to set the tramp path.
>> However, I don't want to go this route since different machines have
>> different PATHs.  Is there a way to set tramp to use the remote login
>> shell?
>
> Tramp ignores your PATH settings by default. If you want to enable them,
> you must add to your .emacs
>
> (add-to-list 'tramp-remote-path 'tramp-own-remote-path)

I tried this before and I just tried it again.  Issue is the commands
I'm looking for is in PATH that is defined in my .bashrc file on the
remote machines.  Hence, I think the error is coming from the fact
that /bin/sh is used (as the error states).

I think the solution is to have tramp use bash on my remote machine.
Does this make sense?

Thanks.