Re: tramp (2.1.18-23.2); User string gets trimmed by one character

From: Jonathan Hill
Subject: Re: tramp (2.1.18-23.2); User string gets trimmed by one character
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 09:32:13 -0400

On 7/21/2010 10:51 AM, Michael Albinus wrote:
"Jonathan Hill"<address@hidden>  writes:

Regardless of which username or remote server I try to log into, the
username is consistently trimmed by one character. 'root' becomes 'roo'
'hillj' becomes 'hill'. Tramp initially worked but (un)magically broke
in the way described perhaps when I tried to move my ~/.emacs from a
windows network share "u:/" (default HOME windows env var here at my
work) to
"c:/emacs". I've tried blowing emacs away completely and reinstalling,
but that doesn't fix the problem either.

I can no longer get a successful tramp connection, so I don't know what
the steps to reproduce the bug might be.
[...]

--=-=-=

address@hidden's password:
address@hidden's password:
address@hidden's password:
address@hidden's password:
address@hidden's password:
address@hidden's password:
address@hidden's password:
Access denied
Access denied
Access denied
Access denied
Access denied
Access denied
FATAL ERROR: Server sent disconnect message
type 2 (protocol error):
"Too many authentication failures for roo"
[...]

11:51:26.161000 tramp-send-command (6) # plink rh1.orc.com -l root
-ssh&&  exit || exit
Tramp seems to send the correct command. Maybe you try from a CMD window
that command:

plink rh1.orc.com -l root -ssh

If there is the same error, I would check PuTTY settings.

Best regards, Michael.
Per your suggestion, I did the testing you suggested. The results are interesting. If you send "plink rh1.orc.com -l root", it does NOT register that a username was passed. However, if you send "plink -l root rh1.orc.com", then it works as expected. I suspect that I still need to change something about how tramp passes the command, but perhaps (hopefully) the "trimming" is just a red herring in this case.

Thanks,

--jonathan