Re: tramp (2.1.16-pre); backtrace for windows connection problem

From: Dave Abrahams
Subject: Re: tramp (2.1.16-pre); backtrace for windows connection problem
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2011 15:53:19 -0500

At Wed, 02 Feb 2011 15:31:56 +0100,
Michael Albinus wrote:

> Dave Abrahams <address@hidden> writes:
>
> Hi dave,
>
> >> Okay, you should be able to ssh into luannocracy.com, port 49223, user
> >> "albinus."  Let me know if that fails to work for any reason.
>
> Sorry, I should have replied earlier, but I'm totally occupied at work.

Please, don't apologize!  You've gone well above and beyond the call
of duty!

> You can disable the accout, I'm ready with test.
>
> > Okay, I think you can stop working on this and simply add to your
> > documentation:
> >
> >   "Tramp (like sshfs, incidentally) doesn't work with WinSSHD.  Use Cygwin
> >   OpenSSH instead"
> >
> > Sorry for the big time-waster!
>
> I still don't understand what happens. When I apply the commands from
> Tramp's trace in a shell, everything is fine. When doing the same with
> Tramp, I'm blocked (as you). Quitting the communication, I see as reply
> from the "env ... PS1= ..." command:
>
> /c/Documents and Settings/albinus
>
> (which is my home directory on your machine). Not the prompt, as defined
> in PS1. That's why Tramp is blocked, because it is looking for the prompt.
>
> I have no idea, why your machine does not return the correct
> prompt. Maybe it is due to a wrong $TERM setting, but even adding
> "TERM=dumb" to the "env ..." command does not help.
>
> Yes, maybe we must simply accept this. Tramp has also problems with
> cygwin when using it's ssh command, so it might be a more general
> problem on that platform. Are you able to access a cygwin sshd?

Absolutely!
The only problem so far is a missing getconf:

Tramp: Found remote shell prompt on `xp'
File error: `echo \"`getconf PATH`\"' does not return a valid Lisp expression:
`sh: getconf: command not found
""
'
Tramp: `getconf PATH' not successful, using default value
"/bin:/usr/bin". [3 times]

> Btw, since since your machine runs MS Windows, you might try to connect
> it via the smb method ...

Didn't even know there was one.  Can you run remote commands over it?

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing