Re: emacs hanging occasionally after tramp/scp invocation

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: emacs hanging occasionally after tramp/scp invocation
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 11:46:39 +0100

Marc Girod <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello,

Hi Marc,

> Occasionally (maybe once a month), my emacs will hang.
> I am left on Cygwin with a suspicious entry in the ps output:
>
>      7280    6528    7280       7652  ?       654351 11:28:09
> /usr/bin/chown <defunct>
>
> 6528 is /usr/bin/emacs-X11
>
> What should I suspect?
> Could there be a missing waitpid?

There's only one place Tramp calls chown locally. It is applied via
`call-process'. This is not interruptable in Emacs; one has simply to
wait until the corresponding process has finished.

I have no idea what makes chown to hang. From Tramp's side, there's
nothing I could do I fear.

> There may be an error condition on the remote side (automounter,
> firewall, ...), but shouldn't the client survive it?

It shouldn't hurt chown. But maybe it tries to access a file which is
mounted locally; this could hang indeed, when there is a stale NFS mount
or alike.