Re: tramp (2.2.5-pre); tramp hangs - waiting for prompt from remote shel

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp (2.2.5-pre); tramp hangs - waiting for prompt from remote shell
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2013 16:21:56 +0200

Sebastian Schmitt <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Michael!

Hi Sebastian,

>> Well, Tramp does not understand your prompt. For readability, I have
>> replaced non-ASCII chars by their ASCII representation in this message.
>
> I don't have color but the following prompt:
>
> export PROMPT='address@hidden: %~ $ '

Yes, but your prompt uses escape sequences. It looks like:

address@hidden: ~ $ ^[[K

And the escape sequences contain literal "[" characters. When Tramp
allows "[...]" style prompts, it is confused by those "[" characters. So
you shall convince the remote prompt to get rid of it.

> When I remove the square brackets '[' and ']', tramp does recognize my
> prompt. I understand that non-ASCII confuses tramp, but square brackets?

`tramp-shell-prompt-pattern' is intended to be customised. If it works
for you: just do it.

> I tried that but missed that hepix changed "dumb" to "vt100".

How is your .profile organized? Is it called at the end of a system's
.profile? Or does it source another (system-wide) file?