Re: tramp (2.2.13-pre); tab completion fails for eshell in remote connec

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp (2.2.13-pre); tab completion fails for eshell in remote connection
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2015 10:50:28 +0100

Jamil Egdemir <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Guys,

Hi Jamil,

> Using emacs built from the git repo here.  I've got a port on a remote
> machine pulled back to my box using reverse forwarding with ssh.
>
> What's happening:
>
> I connect to the remote machine (through a port on my localhost) and
> once there I fire up eshell using M-x eshell.  The resulting *eshell*
> buffer works fine except it throws an exception when I try to use
> tab-completion.  I've got (setq debug-on-error t) in my .emacs so I have
> the output from the debugger:
>
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Invalid variable reference")
>   signal(error ("Invalid variable reference"))
>   error("Invalid variable reference")
>   eshell-parse-variable-ref()

I'm not sure whether this is a Tramp bug. eshell tries to parse
something in its buffer which it believes it shall be a variable.

>   eshell-parse-variable()
>   eshell-interpolate-variable()
>   run-hook-with-args-until-success(eshell-interpolate-variable)
>   eshell-parse-argument()
>   eshell-parse-arguments(1801 #<marker at 1866 in *eshell*>)

Maybe you check, what's there at position 1801 in your *eshell* buffer?

>  tramp-cache-data '((["ssh" "address@hidden" "localhost#2210" nil nil]
> ("locale" "LC_ALL=en_US.utf8") ("uname" "Linux 4.2.0-18-generic") ("test"
> "test")

Your user name seems to be "address@hidden". This is visible in the
prompt. Maybe eshell tries to expand "$eR" as variable?

You could add the user name to your ~/.ssh/config. In this case, you
don't need to specify it in the Tramp file name.