Re: tramp on windows without access to cmd.exe

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp on windows without access to cmd.exe
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2015 15:32:46 +0100

Vinh Nguyen <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,

Hi Vinh,

> I'd like to use tramp to access files on remote servers via ssh/plink.
> However, my Windows desktop is a corporate desktop that is locked
> down: can't access cmd.exe and cannot edit the registry.
>
> When I try to open a remote file within emacs
> (/plink:address@hidden:~/), I get the error
>
> "the command prompt has been disabled by your administrator"
> and
> "Couldn't find local shell prompt for (C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe)"
>
> Is there an alternative? Please note I have Cygwin with bash and such.
> Would appreciate any workarounds. Thank you!

You could use the Cygwin Emacs. This offers "ssh" methods.

With the native Windows Emacs, you could try to set
`tramp-encoding-shell' to the Windows name of such a cygwin shell, don't
know whether this works. You must also change
`tramp-encoding-command-switch' (to "-c") and
`tramp-encoding-command-interactive' (to "-i").