Tramp completely freezes Emacs with OpenSSH on Windows

From: Nick Clifford
Subject: Tramp completely freezes Emacs with OpenSSH on Windows
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2018 07:58:35 -0600

Hi,

I just installed Emacs on my Windows machine for remote file editing using Tramp. However, I noticed than whenever I try to connect to a remote server (C-x C-f /ssh:home:), Tramp just displays "Opening connection for home using ssh... \" and completely hangs Emacs. I can't pull up the debug buffer with (setq tramp-verbose 10) since the entire application freezes. Additionally, C-g or any other kind of interrupt doesn't work. Connecting to the remote server normally via the command-line works fine.

I'm using Win32-OpenSSH and the ssh and scp executables are both in my PATH.

My ~/.ssh/config:

Host home
        HostName xx.xx.xx.xx
        IdentityFile ~/.ssh/home_rsa