Re: tramp (2.2.13.25.1); tramp-file-name-handler: Permission denied when

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp (2.2.13.25.1); tramp-file-name-handler: Permission denied when loading or saving files larger than 14406 bytes via tramp.
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2018 20:07:29 +0200

"Jeffrey S. Oishi" <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,

Hi Jeffrey,

> I am trying to use tramp to edit not-very-large files on a remote
> server. I have used tramp from other machines on this same server
> without problem. Smaller files do not have any problems. However, with
> files above at least 14406 bytes (I have not figured out exactly what
> the threshold is), I can only load or save the files once every 10 or
> so
> tries. I am using ssh keys via ssh-agent from within a crostini
> container. I'm not sure what is going wrong.
>
> Any advice would be most welcome!

Apparently, you use the scp method. There is an optimization: for files
shorter than `tramp-copy-size-limit' (10240 bytes), scp is not applied
directly, but ssh is preferred. That seems to work. One obvious
workaround would be to use the Tramp ssh method.

Furtheron, you could set `tramp-verbose' to 6. Rerun your test, and in
case it fails, send the Tramp debug buffer. It has a name like
*debug tramp/scp leavitt*.