Re: tramp remote host mismatch problems

From: Alex V. Koval
Subject: Re: tramp remote host mismatch problems
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2018 22:17:12 +0200

Hi Michael:

>>>    tramp-cleanup-all-connections does not help.
>>
>> Agreed, it should. I will fix it next days (not just now; I'm very short
>> in time).

Yes, tested, and I confirm that this bug is fixed now.

>>> This paths allows me to use custom defined 'docker' tramp method
>>> which I use to connect to docker container in privileged mode on hosting
>>> server:
>>>
>>> /ssh:address@hidden|docker:some.site.name:
>>>
>>> But then, I might connect to the same site using direct 'ssh' when
>>> container has ssh access:
>>>
>>> /ssh:address@hidden:some.site.name#port:
>>>
>>> I am not sure if different #port here is causing this but it still tries
>>> to connect to previous host using root ->docker path.
>>
>> Yep, this sounds wrong.
>
> Should be fixed as well, ports are taken into accound for proxies.
>
> Everything committed to the repositories. Do you have a chance to test
> with either Emacs 27.0.50, or Tramp 2.4.1-pre in case you're using an
> older Emacs?

I am on 27.0.50.
2nd fix worked well:

#+BEGIN_SRC sh :dir /ssh:address@hidden: :results output replace :async t
id
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS:
: uid=1088(client) gid=1088(client) groups=1088(client),4(adm)

#+BEGIN_SRC sh :dir /ssh:address@hidden|docker:somehost: :results output
replace :async t
id
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS:
: uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groups=0(root)

So now I can work on both hosts and they don't cross-interfere. Thank
you! :-)

> For the records, Tramp was invented by Kai Grossjohann. I took over
> maintainership years later.

I agree. But I also in 1 second (I am using notmuch mail which is
awesome fast) can find out that your first answer to my question on tramp is
dated:

> Michael Albinus <address@hidden> (2003-12-26) (inbox)
> Subject: Re: efs + tramp + emacs problem.
> To: Alex Koval <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2003 23:23:35 +0100

Which is 15 years ago :-)

That is why I think you are doing a lot of great things over all those
so many years!

WBR, Alex