Re: tramp hangs

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp hangs
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2019 21:54:17 +0200

Mark Geary <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Mark,

>>> My tests show that it's just the length of the command, not any other
>>> kind of complexity.  An echo command with a single argument works if
>>> the total length is 256 or less and fails if it is more than 256 characters.
>>
>> I see, thank you for the test. Could you please run in a bash shell on
>> that remote host the command "getconf -a"?
>
> Attached. Comparing it with our Linux machines, I don't see anything
> which would explain the difference in behavior, but there's a lot in
> there and a lot of it I don't know its purpose

Thanks. There's one interesting difference:

> PIPE_BUF:                     undefined

On my GNU/Linux system, it is 4096. We have had problems with this limit
in the past, see function tramp-set-remote-path and its leading comment.

Maybe we shall implement something similar for
tramp-do-file-attributes-with-stat, assuming PIPE_BUF being 256 when it
is undefined. This shall serve for all practical purposes (Solaris is the
only system I know of, which has problems with the command in