Re: No longer accessible host paths

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: No longer accessible host paths
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2019 16:01:34 +0100

Hi,

> I hope to have a first version of tramp-rename-remote-files ready this
> week, for playing. I would post a patch here, on top of Tramp 2.4.2.4.

I have implemented a very first shot, see appended patch. It is pretty
much alpha, it needs more careful testing, and it represents just where
I stand now. Improvements welcome, but stabilization first. Proper
documentation is also missing.

You can apply this patch on top of Tramp 2.4.2.4 from GNU ELPA. I guess
it would work also on top og Tramp 2.3, but I haven't tested yet.

The scenario I have tested so far is:

- I have some open buffers with files located in /ssh:bad:/tmp. I
  believe this connection is broken, so I call "M-x tramp-rename-remote-files"

- "Enter old connection: /ssh:"
  I complete this via TAB, until I have the remote connection "/ssh:bad:"

- Now, the next TAB gives me the longest common path of all buffers
  connected to /ssh:bad: - this is "/ssh:bad:/tmp/".

- After RET, I get the prompt "Enter new Tramp connection: /ssh:". The
  Tramp method of the old connection is offered as initial completion.

- Via usual minibuffer completion, I have "/ssh:good:/var/tmp/". I
  confirm this with RET

- Now, the command goes through all buffers. Buffers which have a
  buffer-file-name starting with the old name, "/ssh:bad:/tmp/", are
  presented to me, plus the prompt "Set visited file name:
  /ssh:good:/var/tmp/". Confirming this with RET, sets the new
  name. This is editable, of course.

Well, that's it. The buffer file names are renamed, the buffers are
marked modified. Now you can save them (or not :-)

Happy testing! Any feedback is more than welcome.