Re: tramp-get-connection-property mutex looping

From: 積丹尼 Dan Jacobson
Subject: Re: tramp-get-connection-property mutex looping
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2019 05:46:53 +0800

MA> No, it is not intended to keep idle connections. The properties are
MA> checked for other reasons. Why do do worry about?

Well first it can make debug logs giant.

Also the user might be on a metered connection. Being charged for
traffic or time with any traffic. And even if no traffic is involved,
having the program do things continually is keeping the CPU busy and
makes emacs not qualify as a (energy/global warming) environmentally
friendly program as it no longer rests when not doing anything.

My college professor would give us a whipping if he found such...

MA> Btw, the mutex is not used really. I've added it last year, when I tried
MA> to make Tramp run in parallel. This work is currently stalled.

Please document a way the user can slow it down / turn it off, and also
what it is trying to achieve.