ssh through a bastion

From: Garjola Dindi
Subject: ssh through a bastion
Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2020 15:14:45 +0100

Sorry for my previous post. Here is the content.

Hi,

I am using tramp to ssh to a cluster which uses a bastion (I think this
is the name for this thing!). Usually, to connect to the cluster, I do

ssh user@cluster

I asks for a password, and presents a curses menu to select the type of
node (after a timeout it will select a default option). After that, it
asks again for the password and connects to a node of the cluster. In
the case of scp, there is no curses menu, but I still have to enter the
password twice.

I can use tramp without problem, since the timeout will select the
default node, which is OK for me.

However, I have to enter the password twice, which is inconvenient.
Also, from time to time, it will ask for the password again (and twice
every time).

I thought that using the .authinfo file I would not need to enter the
password, but it still asks for it (but only once).

Is there a way to avoid manually entering the password in this kind of
situation? I think this is different from the multi-hop that I have
read in the manual, since the second connection does not ask for a login
(it is the same as the one of the bastion) and I don't get to choose the
machine (cluster node) to which I am connecting.

I hope my description above is not too vague and someone can help me.

Thank you.

G.