Re: question on tramp multi-hop

From: Alex Koval
Subject: Re: question on tramp multi-hop
Date: Sun, 31 May 2020 06:50:19 +0300

Hello Michael,

> I recommend, that you add aliases "slave1" and "slave2" on host1 and
> host2. This could be either in /etc/hosts, or in ~/.ssh/config of the
> root user. And then you apply

To my regret its not always possible, as I don't have access to manage
some environments.

In clustered hosted environments it is  not always possible to alter the
configurations the way  you suggest, e.g. I always should  login to some
host, and then the configuration in our clusters simular, for example we
always have hosts named 'ansible', or 'master1, master2, master3' etc.

.  Cluster staging.aws.example.com     .  Cluster production.aws.example.com
.                                      .
.     |                                .         |
.     v                                .         v
. +-------+                            .     +-------+
. |       | bastion                    .     |       | bastion
. |  VPN  |                            .     |  VPN  |
. |       |                            .     |       |
. +-------+                            .     +-------+
.     |                                .         |
.     |            +------------+      .         |            +------------+
.     |            | Kubernetes |      .         |            | Kubernetes |
.     +----------> | Master 1   |      .         +----------> | Master 1   |
.     |            +------------+      .         |            +------------+
.     |                                .         |
.     |            +------------+      .         |            +------------+
.     |            | Kubernetes |      .         |            | Kubernetes |
.     +----------> | Master 2   |      .         +----------> | Master 2   |
.     |            +------------+      .         |            +------------+
.     |                                .         |
.     |            +------------+      .         |            +------------+
.     |            | Kubernetes |      .         |            | Kubernetes |
.     +----------> | Master 3   |      .         +----------> | Master 3   |
.     |            +------------+      .         |            +------------+
.                                      .

So its very typical thing. In every company we have 5-6 such clusters
with very simular configuration.

1. I need to be able to connect to staging host:
/ssh:ubuntu@bastion.staging.example.com|ssh:root@master1:
2. And to production:
/ssh:ubuntu@bastion.production.example.com|ssh:root@master1:

So, in such case  tramp is unuseble, instead I will  need to run several
copies of 'emacs' to use tramp there.

So, it would be good to have some stable solution which allows me to
connect avoid using per-host cache in such cases.

Filipp> Maybe Tramp should use all hops as the cache key, not just the final
Filipp> one?

Hope so.

WBR,
   Alex