Re: Tramp should only change M-x shell startup when used in tramp buffer

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Tramp should only change M-x shell startup when used in tramp buffers
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2020 19:44:09 +0200

積丹尼 Dan Jacobson <jidanni@jidanni.org> writes:

Hi Dan,

> Try this:
> In a remote dired, do M-x shell, but then ^G when you see the long prompt.
>
> OK, now in a local dired, do the same thing... and see the same results!
>
> Apparently if the first time you attempted to start it was in a remote
> buffer, that is then remembered for the rest of the emacs session.
>
> Note above I have not actually got to the first "$" shell prompt,
> canceling out with ^G each time I saw the scary long /.../.../.../ prompt.

Once a shell buffer has been created, it is re-used. Even if you apply
^G, the buffer exists already.

If you want to use another buffer for your local shell, rename the
buffer *shell*.

This has nothing to do with Tramp, it doesn't know the shell
command. Maybe we need different shell buffers for different remote and
local hosts. Pls write an Emacs bug if you believe so.