Re: Emacs unexpectedly stalls on remote image

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Emacs unexpectedly stalls on remote image
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2020 11:31:11 +0100

Mikhail P <mikpom@fastmail.com> writes:

> Hi Michael,

Hi Mikhail,

> I tried the new version and emacs does not hang. Also the resizing has
> become much faster (I suspect I have the same connection speed and it
> was very slow with your initial patch).

Thanks for the reply. I haven't done something special wrt performance
in my patch. However, my final patch uses a different approach; maybe
this has also some performance improvement consequences :-)

> However I do see "Error running timer..." messages and I occasionally
> get unexpected ... changed on disk; really edit buffer? prompt.

In Emacs' etc/NEWS file I've dropped the note

If such an error occurs, please report this as bug via 'M-x report-emacs-bug'.
Until it is solved you could ignore such errors by performing

    (setq debug-ignored-errors (cons 'remote-file-error debug-ignored-errors))

This setting might be helpful for the time being. The bug report shall
still be submitted, and I'll inspect also your debug output later on,
when time permits.

> I am aware that the code for image display is well outside of TRAMP
> and separate report should be submitted. I am attaching a tramp debug
> file I got when opening the image in a clean session (no .emacs conf)
> and playing with resizing it. On the last resize I got buffer edit
> prompt. Let me know if this has to be submitted to general Emacs bug
> reporting list.

Yes, I believe it fits all together. But since this is not my game
field, a bug report might involve other Emacs developers for fixing it.