Behavior of tramp-own-remote-path

From: Augusto Stoffel
Subject: Behavior of tramp-own-remote-path
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2020 19:00:53 +0100

I've recently posted a question on Stack Exchange about the way Tramp
sets the PATH [1].  I would set tramp-remote-path to the value
'(tramp-own-remote-path) but Tramp would still not make the PATH
identical to what I get in a direct ssh login.

The problem, it turns out, was due to my PATH being set up in
~/.bashrc instead of ~/.profile.  More specifically, Tramp inquires
the remote machine's PATH with the command

   /bin/sh -l -c 'echo $PATH'

which, I assume, will run some of the /etc/profile.d scripts for a
second time.  As a side effect, some low priority entries of PATH got
pushed to the front.

I wonder if there is something against querying the PATH with the
command

   /bin/echo $PATH

This would have at least the advantage of making the path set-up
more predictable.

Best regards,
Augusto

[1] https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/62306/