trans-coord-devel

Re: building vanilla gnu.org-i18n

From: Kaloian Doganov
Subject: Re: building vanilla gnu.org-i18n
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 18:03:05 +0200

Yavor Doganov <address@hidden> writes:

    We could check somehow if the diff is only POT-Creation-Date (by
    copying the file to a temporary file, running the command, etc.) and
    consider the target up-to-date if that's the case.  Would you like
    to implement this?

This is not a major issue, I'll put it in the TODO file for now.

    >  More specifically, the system should cvs add these files if they
    >  are created by the make process:
    >
    > Maybe this should be done by the so called "cronjob" script.

    I don't see how.  Maybe there's a way, but it's not easy and it's
    definitely prone to errors. […]

    One way to solve this is to cvs add conditionally, f.i. if hostname
    is fp (plus a whoami check, eventually).  Another way, which seems
    more feasible and robust as a solution, is to introduce a new
    conditional variable CVS_ADD.  Thus, running `make' will not cvs
    add, but running `make CVS_ADD=yes' will.  What do you think?

I think there is a simpler approach.  We do not need any hostname checks
or conditional variables.  It is reasonable to postulate that one who
invokes `cvs commit' will be responsible to invoke `cvs add' on the
apropriate files beforehand.  We've already decided that a cronjob
script will do the commits, so naturally this is the process which will
cvs add apropriate files too.  Roughly speaking, the script will perform
the following steps:

    1. Update the working copy (using `cvs update -d').

    2. Rebuild translations (`make -k www/prep/i18n').

    3. Examine working copy and collect new filenames that should be put
       under control (possibly grepping through `cvs status').

    4. Invoke `cvs add' on those collected filenames (if any).

    5. Invoke `cvs commit' on the working copy.

    6. Exit.

Does this makes sense to you?