trans-coord-devel

Re: VCS=(yes|always)

From: Yavor Doganov
Subject: Re: VCS=(yes|always)
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 01:21:35 +0200

Калоян Доганов wrote:

> I was confused because `all' target depends on `vcs-add-always', but I
> did'n noticed the empty definition in case when VCS=always is not
> specified.

Yeah, a bit clumsy but that seemed the easiest route to go...

Basically, I'm following the conversation we had on this subject.
`make' by default doesn't add any files, `make VCS=yes' (the default
in job mode) adds (almost) everything new that has to be added, and
`make VCS=always' is just a workaround that's going to be rarely used.

> I've also noticed that on this target the $(CVS) command is invoked
> without $(CVSOPTS).  May be we should always specify $(CVSOPTS) along
> with $(CVS).

It won't work here because $(CVSOPTS) will expand to `-n'.  It's also
not necessary when the specific purpose of that recipe is *always* to
commit :-)

The sole reason for $(CVSOPTS)'s existence is to use the same command
everywhere without trouble, since otherwise we have to use make
conditionals which are parsed immediately and automatic variables
inside them do not work (i.e. that's not an option).  And shell
conditionals are not fun, at least not for me.

Do you see a specific problem with this?  I'll make it clear in the
documentation (the makefile already looks pretty knotty, I agree).