trans-coord-devel

Re: Error handling

From: Yavor Doganov
Subject: Re: Error handling
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 22:49:33 +0200

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 10:26:42PM +0200, Kaloian Doganov wrote:
> Here is what I've came up to:  I've introduced two more scripts:

This has the disadvantage that $FILE is the exact target or
prerequisite, while I was using make functions to compute a convenient
name, like philosophy/java-trap.bg.html (as opposed to
../../philosophy/java-trap.bg.html).  Perhaps I'm wrong, I haven't
examined the patch in detail.

>    2. validate-html-notify - runs `validate-html' through `mailfail'.
>       Intended to be handy in our GNUmakefile.

We may as well merge this into validate-html and make `validate-html
--notify' do this thing.

>  ifneq (,$(findstring $(1),bg ru))
> -     $(VALIDATESKIP) $(VALIDATE-HTML) $$@
> +     $(VALIDATESKIP) $(VALIDATE-HTML-NOTIFY) $(NOTIFYSKIP) $(transl_addr)
> $$@ || (sleep 1 ; touch $(rootdir)/po/home.$(1).po)
>  endif
>  endef

This, as well as the command in the article rules, has the flaw of my
initial implementation.  make will consider the target up-to-date, so it
will not be rebuilt next time.  The error message might be forgotten,
and the invalid .LANG.html can stay online for a fairly long time.

You have to touch the prerequisite (.LANG.po) to avoid that.

These two points are important for me, I expect that errors will happen
quite often [1], and we will merely lose track of them.

[1] Just look at the errors I introduce.  That's only one translator
working on a limited set of translations.  Ah, and this translator is
quite familiar with PO files :-)