trans-coord-devel

Re: Error handling

From: Yavor Doganov
Subject: Re: Error handling
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 19:24:43 +0200

Калоян Доганов wrote:

>     $(mail-error-proto) $(MAKE-PROTOTYPE) --home ...

OK.

> Also, shouldn't we introduce a new variable for "./mailfail"?

IMO we should get rid of all variables that are defined to internal
programs and leave only SED, PO4A* and MSG*.  The purpose of defining
variable for programs is to change their value (for example with
similar programs as is the case with "makeinfo --html" and "texi2html"
or the same installed in different locations).

In our case it is pretty much redundant.

> Hm, I see your point but the solution is not so obvious to me.  No doubt
> that a PO-file may be changed manually by a human, but also it can be
> changed automatically by the update rules.  So why not run check-po on
> both cases?

There are two cases when it can become invalid after mechanical
intervention:

1) A bug in po4a which leads to invalid .pot.  We are in deep trouble
here, and msgmerge will fail so we will see what happened.

2) A bug in msgmerge that makes the .po invalid after merging from a
valid .pot.  I'm pretty sure the gettext maintainer will never release
such a buggy version :-)