traverso-devel

Re: [Traverso-devel] Re: My recent audio file changes

From: Remon
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] Re: My recent audio file changes
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 16:15:26 +0200

Hi,

> Yet another update / self-reply:

:D

> > I think it's still a good idea to give Peak it's own
> > ReadSource to avoid extra seeking when zoomed into micro mode.
>
> Peak now does get its own ReadSource (plus a bit of code to prevent
> infinite recursion of ReadSources within Peaks within
> ReadSources...etc.)

I've uploaded the ReadSource/MonoReader merge, as well as some fixes in the
AudioReader classes.
A ReadSource no longer has a Peak object, I've moved that to AudioClip, which
solves the recursion problem a bit nicer, though it's a bit crashing now and
then on program exit :-( (might be related, maybe not)

Old projects don't work now, but the performance increase for reading stereo
audio files is certainly worth it!
Specially for the compressed file types, reading a stereo flac has about ~
0.67 % cpu load now here, vs ~ 1.1 % before

A converter is planned to convert old project files to make them work again!

> >  - resampling needs a lot of work still, although it does basically
> > work if you follow my directions from before...

Yeah, it works quite well now actually! I've loaded files with different
samplerates, changed the audiodevice samplerate to different rates, it all
plays back like it should, wonderfull!
Thanks a lot!
Of course it takes some cpu to do samplerate conversion on the fly, I've done
a little profiling, and 98% of the cpu was spend in src, no opportunity for
optimizations there I'm afraid, the simplest one is using a lower quality
resampling :)

I've been playing flac files for hours now, and it's certainly more stable
then with libsndfile! No random crashes or pops and crackles...
Finally!

I owe you at least 3 beers :D

Regards,

Remon