traverso-devel

Re: [Traverso-devel] Large file support

From: Nicola Döbelin
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] Large file support
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 16:27:06 +0200

Hi Remon,

> My suggestion is to make using w64 or wav optional, but default to w64, to
> avoid potential long recordings to fail.
> RFC please.

Considering that there are also file systems out there with similar
limitations*, wouldn't it be a good idea to start a new file when the 2GB limit
is reached? I can even see advantages besides the given limitations, e.g.
backing up many 2GB files on DVD is much easier than one 10GB file.

I would suggest the following solution: Make the default file format optional,
but also add an option "split files into 2GB chunks". For file formats with a
2GB limit, this option should always be active.

Does that sound reasonable?
Nic

* AFAIK FAT32 is still a popular FS for shared partitions on dual boot
Linux/Windows systems, and also on external hard disks. And NFS used to have a
2GB limit as well.