uisp-dev

[Uisp-dev] lock bits

From: Theodore A. Roth
Subject: [Uisp-dev] lock bits
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 22:40:18 -0600 (MDT)

Hi,

I've been digging through the code for handling lock bits. The way it is
implemented now seems a bit inflexible to me. It looks to me that it's an
all or nothing approach, i.e. you can only set all the lock bits with the
"--lock" command and you can't clear them (except with a chip erase???).

I'm currently trying to implement the new command line options for writing
fuses (done) and lock bits. What I'd like to see happen is simply
"--wr_lock=0xfd" where the value should correspond to the bits described
in the data sheets for the devices. Basically, if you are looking at the
data sheet for a device, you should be able to figure out your byte value
and pass it straight down to the device. Also, reading the bits should
just dump what you expect from the data sheet instead of having to
translate.

The current code goes through a bunch of hoops to tweak the bits so they
are in "known" order. I have yet to see code which tells the user what
that order is. It seems to me that the code is much more complicated than
it needs to be.

Is there a compelling reason to keep the bits in this "known" order?

If not, can I rip that code out and just implement what is described
above?

Ted Roth