uisp-dev

Re: [Uisp-dev] stk500 with firmware 1.10

From: Marek Michalkiewicz
Subject: Re: [Uisp-dev] stk500 with firmware 1.10
Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2002 14:36:51 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

> I have recently bought the STK500 evaluation board and have installed uisp on
> my Linux box. The STK500 has firmware version 1.10 and does not work with
> uisp.

Did they only change the version number, or something else in the protocol
as well?  No documentation from Atmel, so it had to be reverse-engineered.
I hope they are not changing it now, to make things harder for us...

> Just for testing I have changed stk500.C to support firmware version > 1.7
> and
> it works fine. I can erase, upload, download and verify without any problem
> tested with 8515.
>
> Is it possible to make this changes in your sources to support this firmware
> or is more testing needed?

If it's just the version number, and protocol is the same, no problem.
Try testing on a few other devices if you can, and send your patch to
the list so it can be applied in CVS.

BTW, nice project (for someone with enough free time) would be to write
open firmware for the STK500 (possibly even based on the good old tested
avr910/pavr protocol).  STK500 is based on the AT90S8535, and last time
I checked, schematics were available after registration on avrfreaks...

Marek