unifont

Re: [unifont] unifont_jp-12.1.02.ttf link in unifoundry.com is broken

From: Paul Hardy
Subject: Re: [unifont] unifont_jp-12.1.02.ttf link in unifoundry.com is broken
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2019 13:25:42 -0700

Roy,

On Wed, Jun 5, 2019 at 10:45 AM <address@hidden> wrote:
> BTW, Izumi Bitmap Font (
> http://izumilib.web.fc2.com/izumi-bf/dl-eng.html ) is also in Public
> Domain and looks better than jiskan16 for your reference.

Thank you for letting me know about the Izumi font.  I realized that
Jiskan16 glyphs were often wider than they needed to be, but it was
the best kanji font that I found before your email.  It looks like the
Izumi font started with the Jiskan16 glyphs and improved them.

Do you have any way to contact that author besides the email address
on that site?  I sent email there but it was returned as
undeliverable.  There is a minor problem with the JIS X 0213 Plane 1 &
Plane 2 BDF fonts: they have over 50 duplicate code points.

I can prepare corrected BDF files, but would prefer that the creator
of those files also distribute corrected versions with incremented
version numbers.

It would also be nice to have a comment line in each BDF file stating
that the file is in the public domain, rather than just the website
message.  If the BDF files need to be modified anyways, maybe the
author could add those comments at the same time.

Thank you,

Paul Hardy