users-prolog

Re: GNU Prolog FAQ

From: Christian
Subject: Re: GNU Prolog FAQ
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 15:57:40 +0100

> The first entries could be to answer to some general questions like:
>
>    - What is GNU Prolog ?
>    - Where can I get it ?
>    - For which plateforms is it available ?
        - requirements (C-Compiler ...)
        - buildung and installling
        - implementation limits and workarounds

>    - Where is the web site ?
>    - How to find documentation ?
>    - How to ask for help ?
>    - ...
>   (you can find most on the needed information on gprolog.inria.fr)
>
> and then some basic usage:
>
>    - How can I consult a program ?
>    - How can I compile a program ?
>    - How can I compile a program without the top-level but with my own intial
> goal ?
>    - ...
>
> the it would be interesting to browse the archive of our mailing list at
> http://mail.gnu.org/pipermail/users-prolog/
> to see what kind of question should be in the FAQ.
>
> Some other suggestions ???

the mail archive is a good starting-point i thought so too, and a gprolog faq
will be a ongoing work it will surely growing and mature over time. I would
like to make it gprolog centric and don't cover the Prolog-Language in detail
except for some links. A FAQ is not a tutorial and there are excellent Prolog
resources on the net. It should only address Problems which pepole frequently
experience in using gnu-prolog.
> From a practical point of view, I think it would be a good thing to maintain
> this FAQ under the CVS
> of GNU-Prolog at sourceforge (either under the module 'documentation' or
> inside a new module). This
> would allow other person to help Christina to work on the FAQ. Chirstian do
> you have an account on
> sourceforge, if not it would be a good idea to create it
> (http://sourceforge.net).

I'm allready on Board there :) 'cehteh', i'm curious about the gnu-prolog entry
in gnu-savannah?

Some things:
- I will wait a few days for more suggestions/discussion until i start a
initial FAQ (expect it end of the week)

- Should it be plain HTML? I would suggest to use Lyx, it's easy to use, free,
available for windows too and u can generate serveral output-format's (ok, not
nesseary needed) but at least it makes it simple to focus on the content while
getting an excellent output, not on the html-code.

- who else wants to help? raise ur hands please :)

cya Christian