users-prolog

General Logic Programming Question

From: Brent Fulgham
Subject: General Logic Programming Question
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 11:38:32 -0800

I'm new to the whole field of Logic Programming, having become
interested after reading some of Parnas's works discussing the
use of Mathematical Logic as a basis for reasoning about program
correctness.

I'm curious if Prolog or the Constraint Solving elements of Logic
Programming can provide a suitable basis for constructing "real
world" software?  For example, based on my readings I can see how
Prolog is useful for solving certain classes of problems related
to backtracking, reasoning about natural language, etc.  But is
there sufficient efficiency in terms of speed and memory use for
building an entire application (say some kind of database or possibly
even a web server) as opposed to embedding Prolog to be used for
some small subset of the problem?

Any references would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Brent