Re: [VM] (Still) problems with Latin1 characters in the summary

From: Julian Bradfield
Subject: Re: [VM] (Still) problems with Latin1 characters in the summary
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 15:13:20 +0100

In gnu.emacs.vm.info, you wrote:
> Inspection of the (saved) mailbox shows that in the X-VM-v5-Data header,
> the name "Sheila en René" is stored encoded in Latin1. I very much doubt
> if that's correct.

Indeed. This is an old problem, which annoys me a lot. I use a
patched XEmacs which complains loudly about coding errors, so in this
situation I get a complaint each time I save.
Either the X-VM-v5-Data fields should be stored in a fixed universal
encoding, or they should be mime-encoded.
But I haven't got round to fixing it yet!

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.