Re: [VM] imap-ssh and passwords

From: Uday Reddy
Subject: Re: [VM] imap-ssh and passwords
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 18:36:01 +0100

Matthew Vernon writes:

> It does, but I'd rather not allow password-less access to my mail server
> from some of the places I run VM from, and I don't think this is
> entirely unreasonable.

I have no idea what you mean by password-less access.  Normally, you have to
type in a password to release the private key.

I don't have access to an IMAP server that I can ssh into.  So, I don't even
know how it works or doesn't work.  So, I can't help here.

On the other hand, a simpler way for you to access the server might be to
ssh into your IMAP server separately and set up an ssh tunnel for port 143.
Then, within VM, you can use 'localhost' as the IMAP server and VM will be
quite satisfied with that.  (I use this technique all the time to get inside
our firewall so that I can use normal IMAP instead of IMAP-SSL.  For some
reason, it is a lot faster than IMAP-SSL.)

Cheers,
Uday